Jennifer is John’s cousin.
Jennifer reads this blog all the time but doesn’t comment. And she’s hilarious, so she SHOULD comment.
Today Jennifer got married! To Justin. He’s great and also hilarious.
Living in Calgary has really cut into our social calendars.
But anyways, when I told Jennifer we couldn’t make it to her wedding I promised her a wedding post. So I am going to give Jennifer advice on marriage.
We’ve been married ALMOST 5 months, so I’m an expert.
Disclaimer: Please note that I did ask John to help me write the marriage advice and he declined 3 times. This advice IS one sided.
1) Hold your ground…then compromise. I have found that if you go in with a compromise from the get go, your significant other will expect you to compromise further. His thinking being that your “compromise” is really getting your way. Which it isn’t. You just knew to think ahead. Because Jennifer, you’re smart like that. So always go in holding your ground, and then compromise. It’s the only way to keep things even.
2) If you appreciate something, SAY it out loud. Say it even when you think it’s blindingly obvious that you appreciate something. Say it about small things. Say it about big things. Just say it. I cannot stress this enough.
3) When in your first big marriage fight (It’s going to happen so just accept it) DO NOT bring up things that happened before the marriage. Marriage is like a blank slate. If you’re still holding grudges, you shouldn’t get married. Which I know you already know Jennifer. Also, don’t think this fight means you shouldn’t have gotten married. That will only make the fight worse.
4) Still go out on dates. Without other people. Sometimes I miss John just because I haven’t had him to myself. Be selfish. He’s your husband. You get Dibbs.
5) Get a King Size Bed. Cuddling is only good for so long. Then bed hogging takes over. In a King sized bed you can completely loose the other person and sometimes that’s just what you need.
Marriage is pretty great Jennifer, you’re going to love it. We wish you all the best and love you more than you know!!