Yesterday was my due date and today William is 1 week old. I still can’t believe he’s here. Is this really my awesome life? Yes. It is. I can’t believe how lucky I am.
My awesome midwives came back to see us on Day 1, 3 and 5. Day 1 was Thursday afternoon and Kimberly, the midwife who didn’t deliver me, came to check on us. We were doing great. William and I didn’t leave the bedroom all day. John and Henry brought us drinks and food and let us sleep the day away. Day 2 was pretty similar.
Day 3 (Saturday) John had to go into work. Since William came earlier than we expected, John had some loose ends to tie up and chose to go into work on Saturday so he wouldn’t get distracted. My brother Josh was here visiting so it wasn’t a huge deal. Viv, the midwife that caught William, came back to check on us. She did a metabolic screen test (heal prick) on William and watched me nurse to make sure our latch was still good. It was!
|Uncle Josh and his nephews!|
Day 4 we had our newborn/ family photo shoot. It was fun and lasted about 3 hours. Of course my milk came in early that morning…so finding clothes that fit was extra difficult. The whole day I kept telling William that I have 2 outfits that fit me right now…so please don’t spit up on me! Luckily he didn’t. I felt great the entire day but by evening my body was so sore. My bones were hurting. Maybe it was a little too much activity for me? William was a complete angel! Henry didn’t really want anything to do with it. I guess it would be boring to a 19 month old.
|Our Sneak Peek- http://www.whitneycowanphotography.com/|
Day 5 Viv was back again to check on us and this time she weighed William! Our little William was 7 pounds 5 ounces when he was born. That’s almost an entire pound smaller than Henry was and just happens to be my exact birth weight. On day 5 he was down to 6 pounds 15 ounces. Viv said that it was normal since my milk just came in the day before. He’s been nursing every 2 hours ever since so he should be back up to his birth weight soon.
Day 6 John went back into work for the afternoon (He had a meeting and needed to finish off a few things from Saturday). Henry was really well behaved and I handled being a mom of 2 wonderfully for the 4 hours he was gone. I feel pretty confident about next week when John is back at work. Henry is just an awesome kid and that makes all the difference…plus William is still in the “eat, sleep, repeat” phase which is easy to handle too.
Day 7 We took William out of the house for the first time. We went to the grocery store. Then we wrapped the day up by giving both kids baths at the same time! Aren’t we daring!
Which brings us to today, 1 week since William’s birth.
Things I want to remember:
– Since he’s so much smaller than Henry, John and I say “I can’t believe how small he is!” about 1 million times a day. All his clothes are so big! Which makes him look even smaller.
– He sleeps ALL the time. Just the past 2 days he’s been having 1 awake period a day.
– He nurses for about 7-10 minutes at a time, on 1 side only.
– I was having trouble sleeping at night. At first I would feed William for the last time before I went to bed…but then I would get some stuff done and by that time, it was almost time for him to eat again…so I would just wait it out. And then do it again. Then it would be 2 am and I hadn’t tried to sleep yet. It was no good. I think I’ve learned my lesson?
– William spits up at night time. I have to have a stack of burp clothes and receiving blankets ready on my night stand. Henry wasn’t like that so I was surprised!
– Henry has adjusted well other than being a bit whiny. Our routine is completely different now just because John is off work and has his own way of doing things (which I support!). I think when John goes back to work, Henry will be back in his element with our routine. He loves to look at William and touch his hair or leg. He will sometimes give him a kiss. He still doesn’t want to hold him.
– I wish it wasn’t winter so we could go for walks. It’s just too cold to put William outside just yet. I might start going to the mall to walk…but with it being Christmas…I don’t know.
|Henry being a good big brother and giving William a bounce.|
Sorry for the super long post! I went back to look at Henry’s 1 week post and it lacked details that I wanted! So I didn’t want to make that mistake again when I come to look back at this one.